Thursday, January 16, 2014

Memories of an Old Friend

I was about 15 when my physical pain started becoming an every waking hour occurrence.  At the time, the pain was quite migratory, usually moving around to areas that I had previously injured.  Say, a sprained ankle or a jammed finger, or a twisted knee.  I remember my high school trainer getting so frustrated at times, him never seemingly able to help, me in his office every single day with new and old complaints.  It became a routine before and after all games and practices;  ice, tape, go play / cut the tape off, ice and heat, ice and heat.

I think Kevin and I spent two full years playing this game.  Since I played sports year-round, there weren't many days where we didn't see each other.  Man, I remember complaining constantly about lifting weights and how sore it would make me, how I never seemed to recover like everyone else, but how I was forced to lift regardless of my pleas.  During my senior year, Kevin actually played a part in getting those requirement lifted for me during basketball season.  I don't think I ever told him how thankful I was for that.

After graduating and leaving Roseburg in the rearview mirror, I never really looked back.  I regret that to this day.  As I get older, memories and scenes from my past play out while I'm lying in bed.  When these incidents occurred in real life, I paid them little heed.  I was always looking ahead, wondering what was around the next corner, chasing that next adventure

But now, as I see these scenes from my life replay in my mind's eye, their significance become apparent.   It's hard to describe, but one such scene played out recently after I learned just how sick my old high school trainer, Kevin, had become.  I kind of look at it as a recalled memory while in a deep meditative state, something I do often since I spend so much time in bed.  Anyway, this was the incident I relived;

My mystery injuries were occurring with such frequency, causing Kevin to became concerned enough that he took time out of his day to take me to the hospital for ultrasound treatments.  Although the sessions didn't end up helping me much, the time spent with Kevin most definitely did.  It was just so nice being around someone who didn't think I was crazy or a simple hypochondriac.   I could just tell - he believed what I was telling him, and I knew he wanted to help.  He was just that kind of guy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran into Kevin at Cavitt Creek one summer while up there cooling off with some friends.  This must have been only a year or two out of high school, because I still wasn't 21 years old.  But, hey, it was hot, it was summer, and we wanted some beer.  And Kevin and his friend had a cooler full.

Of course, we asked, perhaps even pleaded, but our requests were responsibly turned down by these stand up adults.  Only one thing to do - trick them!

If you are familiar with Cavitt Creek, then this will make sense:  We were sitting up at a picnic table next to the "jumping spot" where the sign is that says "No Jumping".

So, after being denied beer, and with the temperature approaching Pam Anderson melting ferocity, we decided to do a jump into the water below.  My idea was to use the table as a launching point to jump over the fence, actually something that I'd done many times before.  So, I do this, and my next friend does it, and then the next.  By the time friend three is in the water, I'm just about to the shore, ready to climb out of the water.

But I pause.  I turn around start heckling Kevin and his friend.  Telling them how good the water feels.  Telling Kevin how sexy he'll look with his shirt off.   Eventually, they've had enough, it's hot as hell, but they say they won't jump from the table, just the rocks.

"Fine by me", I say. (In my head - this will buy us more time…..)

I wait for Kevin's friend to jump.  Then Kevin.  Then I ran up the stairs and stole a beer for myself and each friend.

Thanks, Kev.  Best Beer Ever
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I truly believe that each and every one of us gives off our own energy signature.  When we interact with others, we can absorb both their negative and positive vibrations.  Although it's been over 20 years since I last interacted with Kevin, that energy I gleaned from him has stuck with me to this day.  It always will.  And I KNOW it will for so many other people that he has cared for and helped.

I don't really know how to end this, so I'm just going to say

Thank You








2 comments:

  1. Hey Nate,
    Great blog....and very heartwarming memory of Kevin. I too, have very fond memories of Kevin. My senior year I ruptured my Achilles tendon and had my daily session of taping and ice with Kevin. Everyday he would walk over with me to the old Douglas Community Hospital and attend my rehab session with me. He tolerated my Texas sized ego and patiently walked when I hobbled.
    I also remember the Cavitt Creek days. Remember when we'd split time in between daily doubles by jumping off of the ledge and over some branches in to Cavitt Creek and then jump into colliding rivers? Reading this brings me right back to those days.
    Anyway, keep up the writing and I appreciate the "shout Out" for Kevin.....what a great human being.

    Take care Mi Amigo!

    Scott Filley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. Great to hear from you! I remember those daily double days well. Honestly, I don't know how that team (my senior year) didn't have more accidental injuries than it did. Go practice all morning, drive up the North Umpqua to swim and jump and flip off of high perches into fast-moving or shallow water, eat a bunch of crap food, go back for evening practice, then do it all over the next day. Was it Black and Bronson that showed up with the pizzas one day? Good mix - stuff face with pizza, rockin' out to the Black album from Metallica, jumping off 30 foot cliffs into class 2 or 3 rapids, exhausted from playing football 5 hours a day…. If only the coaches knew… I'm sure they probably did :)

      I remember going back for the second practice one day, and I had left one of my ankles taped from the first practice That was an interesting conversation to dance around with Kevin!

      "Why you still taped?"

      I couldn't exactly tell him what I was out doing….. but my friggin' ankle hurt so bad, I needed the support when walking amongst the rocks to get out to the island! In my mind, the cold water would help it……

      I think I told Kevin about that when I saw him a few years later up at Cavitt. He just laughed. He got it. Yep, what a great person.

      Thanks, Scott!

      Delete