Saturday, January 25, 2014

Seizures and Migraines - There May be a Connection - for Me

When I first suspected Lyme Disease might be the cause of many of my medical woes, I started keeping a "Pain Journal".  I am now on the fourth iteration of this damn thing, and I think I've got it down to a format that will best work for me.   I'll post a sample below.

Since 01 October 2013, I wake up each day and mark down how many hours of sleep I may have happened to steal that night.  That column is filled with a lot of (1)'s and (2)'s.

I also have columns where I track other various symptoms, ones I think may help me find some overall patterns with my version of this disease.  I use a scale of 1-10. If a box is marked with a 10, it means it is the worst that that symptom has ever been.  Thankfully, those days are few and far between, but there have been a couple of 10's over the past few months.  I dislike those days.

My seizure last night got me to thinking;  are these episodes in any way connected to my pattern of intense, "I want to rip my fucking skull out" migraines that I seem to experience with some regularity now?

I'd never publish an N=1 study, but I also wouldn't blindly ignore a pattern as distinct as this:

it seems that having one of these Simple Partial Seizures will lead to a horrible migraine in the days that follow.  That was an easy pattern to pick out, and, it makes a lot of sense.

Another pattern I've noticed;  the seizures are starting to occur at shorter and shorter intervals.

A few years back, my mom came over to spend some time with my wife, who was preggers at the time, and I in Germany.  My neurologic problems had really ramped up by then, and I knew something was really wrong.  I kept dropping bottles and jars and pens and….. everything.  I was so weak on the left side of my body, I started having upper back problems, my neck was always stiff, and I was having mild seizures, the same type that now send me to the floor…..   I remember mentioning this stuff to my mom, and was even kind of scared to talk to her about it.

Thinking back, I remember one of the first seizure-type episodes that alarmed me.  It occurred shortly before I experience the first really intense migraine of my life.  It took about 6 months for another to occur.  Then it was 3 months for a few cycles.  Back in October, it was about 6 weeks between the seizures and migraines.  Now, it's down to four.

Keep in mind (reminder to myself, too) -  all of this could change when I start a new treatment protocol next month.  You have to keep changing things up to trick the bugs.  That's the strategy, at least.

This latest protocol has made me feel like Nick Nolte in his heydays, just lapping up every conscious-changing substance lying around.  I go from feeling drunk rage to the happy drunks to the "where the fuck am I" space-outs to depressive episodes to….. You know, like Nick Nolte.  Perhaps Gary Busey would be a better example here.  Or Hunter S.T.  You get the idea.




***Complete random afterthought - I'm sorry mom - I can imagine you were scared shitless as I drove down the autobahn, cruising at 110 mph, while eating snacks and holding conversations and playing with the music.  Probably should have told you about all the Neuro crap after the fact…..  Never even thought about it at the time.  Sorry if I have caused you any undue stress!

***** And, Another! I think I just figured out why my posts, and all my writings, are often so long, or just long-winded.  I try to intuit questions readers may have, and I then sillily try to answer all of them that pop into my head.   That flashed through my head earlier as I was writing, and I actually had this paragraph mid-post before re-reading it.  Holy crap am I having trouble editing…… Think I'll just hit post and then re-read when my eyes and head work better.

Thank You for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I really love the way you did your pain journal. I think I want to do this too. This way I can keep track of my success or relapses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tried a few of the online pain trackers, but didn't like the lack of control. Some of them were just way, way too involved for me - as in they took too long and became too difficult to just fill out each day. So far, this little spreadsheet has worked great and I haven't seen any need to add or subtract anything from it. thanks again, and all the best!

      Delete